Monday, January 28, 2013

Christmas/New Years 2012

Okay, I know I'm a month behind, but I didn't want to overload whomever in the atmosphere may be reading my blog with tons of posts. ;)  So, here's the skinny on Christmas:

Christmas was extra fun this year with our almost 2 year old.  She LOVED every bit of it.  She loved to go to the mall and see Santa.  She loved the Christmas Tree and would eat all her dinner just so we'd turn on the lights.  She loved learning about Baby Jesus and singing all the Christmas songs.  And on Christmas day, she loved the stalkings and of course the presents!  Everything was so new and exciting, and I loved seeing it all through my little girl's eyes.

Setting out the decorations - we opted for the fake 4-footer since we were going to be out of town.  But to Alia, it might as well have been Rockefeller Center.

Jared's annual Econ Dept Holiday Party.  Lots of good food, and tons of little activities for the kids, including a visit from Santa (albeit he was a bit tipsy...)  But to Alia it was wonderful, she was so excited to see him and sit on his lap.  I think we went back 3 times!  She got a little turtle and stuffed lion from Santa, and I'm telling you that I would have to pry those toys from her cold dead hands if we wanted her to put them down.  They are lovingly referred to by Alia as her "Turtlion".


Then we flew out to Billings, and we got to see a good chunk of my family.  I think there were 20 of us total at my parents' house.  Alia had sooo much fun with all her family, esp her cousins.  She and her cousin Trey definitely had a special bond.  They loved playing together.  And he referred to her as "Baby Ah-ya".
As is tradition in my house, my mom did the Christmas Story on her felt board on Christmas Eve, and we all opened one present (Alia and I got matching Christmas jammies - that I made for us).  Alia also loved to snuggle with her Uncle Brian and listen to him read stories. :)
Opening Presents was not a problem this year.  She figured it out quickly and really got into it.  My favorite gift that we gave her, was a little make-up kit that I made for her.  (just take some cheap make-up containers, clean 'em out, and fill with nail polish, and let them set/dry for a couple days.  Then you've got some awesome pretend make-up) When Alia opened that present up, she seriously played with if for 20 minutes and couldn't care less about all the other presents. :)  But she got some great stuff including lots of great books, a matching apron with Mom, and lots of girly jewelry and hair accessories.
Per Ostler tradition, we spent a day making homemade ravioli, mmm-mmm-good!
And what's an Ostler gathering without some displays of physical strength? :)
Love this!
From Billings, we got to fly out to Utah, and visit a lot of the Ashworth fam.  And of course, Alia loved hanging out with all of her family, especially all her cool older girl cousins.
Ahh, snow.  This was Alia's first real experience with snow.  She LOVED it.  She would be turning blue, but still we had to drag her in the house kicking and screaming since she didn't want to leave it.
And who doesn't like story-time with Grandpa? :)

On New Year's we played lots of games and when the clock struck 12, per Ashworth tradition, we went outside and banged on pots and pan yelling "Happy New Year!!!".  And per Jared Ashworth tradition, my hubby went running outside barefoot in the snow, making a fool of himself. ;)

Yay for Ashworths!

We had a blast.  It was a great holiday.  We hate being so far away, but I guess it makes it that much sweeter when we can all get together!  Love you all, Ostlers and Ashworths!!!




No comments:

Fun Pictures of our Family