Monday, November 17, 2008

London, Baby!

So, I thought we would start at the very beginning (cuz that's a very good place to start)...London, baby! After a 4 hour flight to Chicago, a gruesome 20 hour delay (but hey, we got food vouchers!), and another grueling 8 hour flight, we finally landed in London. And after a long customs line, we were finally welcomed into the UK.

We had 3 full days in London (originally supposed to be 4-thanx again Chicago O'Hare) and first decided to hit all the major touristy sites: Parliament and Big Ben, Whitehall, Tower of London and Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, The London Eye, Hyde Park, and the works. Because we were being cheap, we attended a mass at Westminster Abbey (to avoid paying to get in). This turned out to be a really neat experience. We were even blessed by the priest. We also visited many different museums and such (Tate Britain, Tate Modern, National Gallery, etc). This was particularly nice in London, because all of the museums were free (with donation). That was the first and the last time I think we ever saw that on our trip.

We also decided to join up with some walking tour groups. We went on the Inspiration for Harry Potter Walk and the Fabulous Secret London walk. These were lots of fun and really interesting. Also, we managed to get "peasant" standing room tickets to the Merry Wives of Windsor at Shakespear's Globe as well as go to the phenominal "Les Miserables" and the totally awesome "We Will Rock You" (a musical based on Queen's greatest hits-pinch me I'm dreaming).

We absolutely loved London! Jared thinks it was probably his favorite city on our entire trip. (Me, I'm very diplomatic-I loved it all!!!)

Jared insisted on taking my picture immediately after we got thru customs. There was, of course many signs stating that pictures were not allowed in this area, but we being the rebels that we are, pushed the limit and then quickly got out of there!

Here we are at Buckingham Palace. It wasn't quite as "palacy" as I had imagined, but it was awesomely huge!

Of course, I had to get a pic with one of the Palace guards. It was pretty funny to try and get them to move. This particular guard, however, did smile and nod at me after the picture when I said thanks. He totally broke policy, but I was very smug.
This is Shakespear's Globe on the outside. It was really cool. It's an exact replica of the original (or as close to it as they could make it) and is built in the same spot.
This is a view from inside The Globe from our "peasant seats". The minstrals were warming up the crowd.
PS-We went to this shortly after our plan landed, and I was so exausted that at one point in the 3 hour play, I actually nodded off while standing. Luckily Jared was right behind me to catch me...that would've made quite a scene.
This was our great Harry Potter Tour guide. Every block or so, he would somehow magically have a different color vest on. I truly don't know how he managed it. Here, we're at the actual location (described in the book) of the entrace to the ministry of magic. Don't dial the wrong number!
The actual Diagon Alley. This street is the true inspiration for the Alley in Harry Potter. It's the only one like it in all of London. They even have a couple "witches" shops here and one store that sells Harry Potter money.
This was a drawing that someone was doing in front of the National Gallery. That's chalk on pavement, how awesome is that!?!?!
Jared at the Tower of London. Now, this definitely seemed more castle-esque. We felt like we'd gone back to King Arthur's times or something.
And here is the fabulous Tower Bridge. (way cooler than the London Bridge) It's apparently the most touristy spot in London. More tourists trudge accross this bridge than any other area.
Here is a nice panoramic view of Big Ben and Parliament. Truely, I think it's the fog and overcastness (is that a word?) of London that makes it such a beautiful city. The views really were spectacular!

3 comments:

Diane Gale said...

Love it! Thank you for taking the time (when not fighting the smoke from the nearby fires) to share.

A Little R and R said...

Hey! Great pictures! Looks like you guys are having a blast! We have a blog too.
a-little-randr.blogspot.com. Then we can keep in touch!

Kem said...

this is so cool! thx for posting all the pictures! i really enjoyed looking at them

Fun Pictures of our Family